PECB Certified Data Protection Officer
As data protection is becoming more and more valuable, the need for organizations to protect these data is also constantly increasing. Besides violating the fundamental rights and freedoms of persons, not complying with the data protection regulations can lead to risky situations that can harm an organization’s credibility, reputation and financial status. This is where your skills as a data protection officer comes in.
The PECB Certified Data protection Officer training course will help you acquire knowledge and skills to serve as a Data Protection Officer (DPO) so as to help organizations ensure compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requirements (also mapped to the Kenya Data Protection act 2019).
Based on practical exercises, you will be able to master the role of the DPO and become competent to inform, advise, and monitor compliance with the GDPR and cooperate with the supervisory authority.
After attending the training course, you can sit for the exam, and if you successfully pass the exam, you can apply for the “PECB will prove that you have the professional capabilities and practical knowledge to advise the controller and the processor on how to meet their obligations regarding the GDPR compliance.
Who should attend?
Managers or consultants seeking to prepare and support an organization in planning, implementing, and maintaining a compliance program based on the GDPR.
DPOs and individuals responsible for maintaining conformance with the GDPR requirements.
Members of information security, incident management, and business continuity teams.
Technical and compliance experts seeking to prepare for a data protection officer role.
Expert advisors involved in the security of personal data.
- Understand the concepts of the GDPR and interpret its requirements
- Understand the content and the correlation between the General Data Protection Regulation and other regulatory
- frameworks and applicable standards, such as ISO/IEC 27701 and ISO/IEC 29134
- Acquire the competence to perform the role and daily tasks of the data protection officer in an organization
- Develop the ability to inform, advise, and monitor compliance with the GDPR and cooperate with the supervisory authority
Day 1: Introduction to the GDPR concepts and principles
- Training course objectives and structure
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Core considerations for the GDPR
Day 2: Designation of the DPO and analysis of the GDPR compliance program
- Designation of the DPO
- Analysis of the GDPR compliance program
- Relationship with the top management
- Data protection policy
- Register of processing activities
- Risk management process
Day 3: DPO operations
- Data protection impact assessment
- Documentation management
- Evaluation of the data protection controls
- Data protection and technology
- Awareness, training, and communication
Day 4: Monitoring and continual improvement of GDPR compliance
- Incident management and personal data breaches
- Monitoring and measuring compliance
- Data protection internal audit
- Treatment of non conformities
- Continual improvement
- Closing the training course
Day 5: Certification Exam
- This training is based on both theory and practice:
- Sessions of lectures illustrated with examples based on real cases
- Practical exercises based on a full case study including role playings and oral presentations
- Review exercises to assist the exam preparation
- Practice test similar to the certification exam
Examination and Certification
The “PECB Certified Data Protection Officer” exam complies with the PECB Examination and Certification Program (ECP)
requirements. The exam covers the following competency domains:
- Domain 1: Data protection concepts, General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and compliance
- Domain 2: Roles and responsibilities of accountable parties for the GDPR compliance
- Domain 3: Technical and organizational measures for data protection
For more detailed information about the PECB examination process, please visit Examination Rules and Policies.
After successfully passing the exam, you can apply for the credentials shown on the table below. You will receive a certificate once you comply with all the requirements related to the selected credential. Certification fees are included in the exam price.
For more information about the PECB Data Protection Officer certification scheme and the PECB certification process, please refer to the Certification Rules and Policies.